Council vs. Counsel
Council = (noun) a formally constituted body of people meeting for administrative or advisory purposes; governing body; legislative body etc.
- Their party won the majority of seats to the local council elections.
- The municipal council awarded special privileges to the school buses for children up to 5th standard.
- The United Nations Security Council.
- The council is planning ways of controlling plastic waste left on roadsides by travellers.
Counsel = (noun, verb) guidance, advice, instruction etc especially that given formally.
- Experts have come forward to counsel the people of Kerala affected by the worst ever flood.
- His job involves counselling young married couples as to how they should lead a happy married life.
- He didn’t heed his father’s wise counsel and lost a major part of his assets in the unexplored business.
- we approached a leading advocate for legal counsel on the sale of our landed property.
- (2) advocate, barrister.
- Her counsel told the jury that the charges were false.
Related words: 1. counsellor 2. counselling.