Discrimination – the unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people, esp., on the grounds of race, age or sex, etc.
- Is there racial discrimination in your country?
- It’s unfair to show discrimination against immigrants.
- People suffering from AIDS often experience social discrimination.
Positive discrimination – The act of giving advantage to those groups in society that are often treated unfairly because of their race, sex, religion, etc.
- Reservation of jobs for low-caste Indians within the country’s public sector is a form of positive discrimination.
- Reservation of seats for senior citizens and females in KSRTC is welcome positive discrimination.
- Giving housing loans to the BPL group at a reduced rate of interest is a positive discrimination.