Idiomatic expression of ‘Wish’ – part 2( state based)
This part deals a past non-existent state which one remembers with a sense of loss. Or in other words, it refers to the present thinking of someone about an unsuccessful state in the past.
Structure : Use past perfect of “were/was” (i.e had been) .
- I wish I had been healthy like you. (i.e I was not healthy like you)
- I wish I had not been a heart patient.( but unfortunately I was a heart patient)
- She wishes she had been as beautiful as Iswarya Ray . ( but she was not….)
- He wishes he had been as strong as Mohammed Ali.( but he was not…)
- She wishes Tomi had been there to help her out.( i.e Tomi was not there…)