As safe as houses = completely safe.( alludes to the paying character of house property as investment- an expression to satisfy a doubting person ” Oh it’s as safe as houses”
- I locked your jewellery in a drawer, so it ‘s as safe as houses.
- If you buy treasury bonds, your money will be as safe as houses.
Bring home to someone = to make someone understand something much more clearly than they did before.
- When I saw for myself the damage that had been caused, that really brought home to me the scale of the disaster.
- The crash brought home the danger of drinking and driving.
- The episode has brought home to me the pointlessness of this war.
Hold the key to = to have control of something ; be the decisive factor in.
- Tourism holds the key to the region’s economic recovery.
- This passage holds the key to understanding the entire novel.