After ‘ Be used to’ if a verb follows , ING has to be added to the verb. But , if it follows a Noun no change takes place.
- He is used to working hard . OR – he is used to hard work
- He was used to working hard. OR – he was used to hard work.
- I am used to getting up early.( i.e I don’t find any difficulty in getting up early and it is quite normal as far as I am concerned.)
Note : Differentiate ‘I used to do’ and ‘ I am used to doing’. They are altogether different structurally and meaning-wise.
- The old lady is used to living alone. ( i.e She lives alone and she doesn’t find it strange or difficult because she has been living alone for some time.)
Now compare the following sentence.
- The old lady used to live alone.(i.e she lived alone in the past but no longer lives alone).