I) English (noun) = The English language.
(adjective) Relating to England, or its people or language.
- English customs demand such polished manners.
II) The English = English people, the people of England.
- The English are among the world’s most cosmopolitan and well-travelled people.
III) Speak English – i.e., you know and can speak English.
- Do you speak English?
- My parents do not speak English.
IV) Speak in English = use English on a particular occasion.
- When I went to Chennai I had to speak in English as I didn’t know Tamil well.
- When the tourists came to Kovalam the guide spoke to them in English.