Indefinite Articles – A and An. A small description of Indefinite articles is given below:
(1) ‘ A ‘ is used before a word beginning with a consonant – a bag, a house, a girl etc.
(2) ‘ A ‘ is used before a word that begins with a vowel but pronounced that of ‘ Yu ‘ and ‘ W ‘.
- a university , a union , a European, a useful article
- a one rupee note, a one-eyed dog etc
(3) ‘ An ‘ is used before a word beginning with a vowel.
- an enemy, an orange, an apple etc
(4) ‘ An ‘ is used before consonants which are pronounced with vowel sounds.
- an hour, an honest man, an heir etc