Polite Requests : For making polite requests, we use WILL, CAN and MAY. You can make them still more polite by using past tense forms of them.(i.e Would, Could, and Might).
- May I ask you a question?
- Might I ask you a question?( more polite)
- Can you lend me your umbrella?
- Could you lend me your umbrella, please? (more polite)
- Can you do me a favour?
- Could you do me a favour?( more polite)
- Will you post this letter , please?
- Would you post this letter, please?(more polite)
Polite statements :
- I have a doubt about the question. I should like to have more clarifications.
- I was told you have bought a new car. I would like to see your new car. When can I come?
- Is the manager available now? My brother would like to see him for a few minutes.