Shall – Modal expressions.
Shall – Modal expressions:
(1) ‘ Shall ‘ is used with the second and third person to express a ‘ Command or Promise ‘.
- He shall not enter my garden. (command)
- You shall get a prize if you top the class.( i.e I promise that I will give you a prize)
- Students shall not pick flowers from the garden.
(2) ‘ Shall ‘ is used with the first person to ask the opinion , suggestion etc.
- Shall I close the door? (i.e Do you wish me to do that?)
- What present shall I buy for you? ( i.e Which present are you expecting me to buy for you?)
- Shall I call him in? ( i.e Do you want me to call him in?)
- What shall we do now?
- Shall we go?
(3) ‘ Shall ‘ to indicate a decision or determination on the part of the speaker with regard to the actions of others.
- There shall be no more wars.
- The enemy shall not pass. (i.e we are determined not to let them)
- Every member shall pay their annual subscription within the first month of the year.