(1) Get the sack = to be dismissed from job. ( has an allusion to tradesmen, who owned their own tools and took them with him in a bag or sack when they were dismissed from employment).
- The Deputy Manager got the sack for incompetence and financial mismanagement.
(2) Head-hunt = identify and approach a suitable person employed elsewhere.
- Jorty was head-hunted as MD of a leading Commercial Bank.
- Head-hunting is a form of recruitment and selection.
- He was head-hunted by a rival company for one of their top jobs.
- Successful managers are headhunted from larger companies.