Useful Idioms – part 11
(1) A rough diamond = an uncut diamond ; a person who has generally good character but lacks manners , education or style.
- My grandfather was a bit of a rough diamond.
- The young actress was a rough diamond , but with some training she would become a superstar.
(2) Down and out = a person without money, a job or a place to live.
- Nobody loves you when you are down and out.
- A hostel for down and outs.
(3) No prizes for guessing = something that is very obvious or clear.
- No prizes for guessing where Daniel is. ( i.e it is very clear where Daniel is)
- No prizes for guessing why Sarah didn’t show up to work on the day after her birthday.
2 thoughts on “Useful Idioms – part 11”
Very good idiom suggestions!
Glad you liked 🙂