Useful Idioms – part 24
Red tape = Excessive regulation or rigid conformity to formal rules; bureaucratic hindrance.
- There is a great deal of red tape involved in getting a work permit.
- Red-tape is the main reason why contractors are reluctant to undertake government contract works.
Be in the red = If you or your bank accounts are in the red, you owe money to the bank.
- I can’t afford a holiday this year. I am 500 pounds in the red.
- we’re back in the red because sales are way down this quarter.
- The state is already rupees fifty crore in the red this year.
- opposite – be in the black.
Blue collar worker = a working class person who performs manual labour.
- The blue collar workers are on strike, but the office staff are still working.