Who…………….That : When applied to people ‘WHO’ is preferred to ‘ That’. But after superlatives, only, all, any and ‘it is’ OR ‘it was’ etc ‘ THAT’ is preferred to ‘ Who ‘.
Examples for ‘ WHO ‘ preference.
- He is the boy who got the first prize.
- The man who is in charge of the library has not come.
Examples for ‘ THAT ‘ preference.
- Sachin is the best batsman that played in the last world cup. ( the best batsman – superlative)
- Dr.K.J.Yesudas is the only singer that has performed in more than fifteen thousand stages.( the only)
- Any musician that wants to sing in Guruvayoor Melpathoor Auditorium should have enough experience.( any musician)
- It is the manager that takes important decisions in our office.( it is the manager)
- All the people that were present liked the programme.( all the people)