Office vs. the good offices?
Office = place of work/business.
- He went to the office at 9 a.m.
- It’s only a few minutes walk to her office.
- Post-office, income tax office.
The good offices = influence, esp., with a person in a position of power, assistance, intervention, mediation.
- His family escaped to Canada through the good offices of a Jewish Agency.
- She got her job in the bank through the good offices of her uncle who was a director of the Bank.
- He was able to recover his lost documents through the good offices of Indian Embassy.
- I got the job through the good offices of a friend.