Question Tags – Part 3
See previous parts – http://sunnyvarkeyk.com/question-tags-part-1/, http://sunnyvarkeyk.com/question-tags-part-2/
Note:- Imperative sentences ( i.e. request or command) are a class apart. If they are simple requests or commands, they usually take ‘will you?’, no matter whether it is positive or negative.
- Pass me the newspaper, will you? (P)
- Don’t be late for dinner, will you? (N)
BUT if you give more urgency or a tone of personal entreaty, “won’t you” may be used.
- Don’t be hasty when you cross the road, won’t you? (N)
- Remember to lock the door, won’t you? (P)
Note:- To show annoyance or for a rebuke, you may use “can’t you?”
- Use your common sense, can’t you? (P)
- Never take my pen again without my permission, can’t you? (N)