What is SMALL TALK, gossip, socialize, chit-chat?
SMALL TALK = It is a conversation about unimportant things often between people who DO NOT KNOW EACH OTHER WELL. It is a starter for a serious conversation or discussion while engaged in on social occasions. In a way that fills up awkward silences and makes you both feel more comfortable and friendly with each other.
- We should find time for some small talk before any serious discussion.
- Our MD advised the new Managers to warm up the beginning of each office meeting with some small talk.
- Renz soon learned how to make small talk with people on social occasions.
- Reshma doesn’t like parties where she has to make small talk with complete strangers
Examples for small talk for practical situations at a travel.
- How’s your Hotel?
- What do you think of the food here?
- Will you have time for some sightseeing?
- Is this your first visit?
- I’ve come here twice and I find the people and their food habits good.
Gossip = idle, often ill-natured talk about the affairs of other people.
- He’s too fond of gossip.
- I don’t believe all the gossip I hear.
Socialize = Mix socially with others in a friendly way.
- He enjoys socializing with his students after class.
- We should find some time for socialization with the people around our locality.
Chit-chat = informal light conversation about matters that are not important.
- It was a leisurely dinner with much chit-chat and laughter.
Note:- Small talk, socialize, chit-chat are viewed with a positive approval but the word GOSSIP often has a tone of disapproval.