Sadism vs. Masochism?
Sadism = the activity of getting pleasure, sometimes sexual, from being cruel or hurting another person. This may be sometimes considered as a mental disorder.
- The man was a sadist who tortured animals and people.
- “I am afraid your children will never be safe”, he said with a sadistic smile.
- The germs of sadism are present even in children; you must have seen children hurting or annoying pet dogs or cats.
- The villain character in the film burned the shoulder of his newly married wife with a lighted cigarette. This can be a symptom of sadism.
Masochism = the tendency to derive pleasure, sometimes sexual, by inflicting pain, suffering or humiliation on oneself.
- He is a masochist who gets pleasure from his own physical pain or humiliation.
- Her ability to endure his violence is not seen as helplessness or masochism, but rather as evidence of her moral strength.
- You spent the whole weekend in a tent in the rain without food. That’s masochism.