(1) Be miles away = not be conscious of what is happening around you because you are thinking about something else.
- You could tell by the expression on her face that she was miles away, thinking about home.
(2) Be caught in the middle = To be in a position between two or more sides in an argument or contentious issue.
- When my friends broke up , I was often caught in the middle as each one complained to me about the other.
- When parents are always arguing , and it’s the children who get caught in the middle.