Useful Idioms – part 21
Off-the-cuff =without preparation.
- I hadn’t prepared a speech so I just said a few words off-the-cuff.
- It was just an off-the-cuff remark.
- I am not very good at making speeches off-the-cuff.
Small talk = polite conversation about unimportant or uncontroversial matters ,especially as engaged in on social occasions.
- It was just small talk really.
- I don’t enjoy parties where I have to make small talk with complete strangers.
In the same breath = more or less at the same time, or at once.
- You say he treats you badly but in the same breath you tell me how much you love him.
- She says the treatment is safe , and then in the same breath says that patients should be warned about the possible side-effects.