Useful Idioms – part 9
(1) Put paid to = destroy or finish something ; stop abruptly.
- A massive heart attack put paid to his aspiration to become a Carnatic musician.
- A spinal operation put paid to her career as a ballet dancer.
- A knee injury has put paid to her chances of getting into final.
(2) Dead end job = A job in which there is little or no chance of career development or advancement into a higher paid position.
- He had quite a dead-end job as a manager in a small establishment.
- Having no enthusiasm to get and go to work is a clear sign you are in a dead end job.